Fleas and Flea Control
Here at The Cats Whiskers we pride ourselves in our attention to detail and meticulous routines to provide a safe haven for people’s feline family members.
Our chalets are cleaned and disinfected everyday, unlike most catteries that operate only to licensing law standards. Great care is taken each day to ensure the health and well-being of each of our guests, as well as spending a large amount of time with each individual to keep them happy and contented whilst in our care. Because of this, we are quick to notice cats with signs of fleas.
If cat comes to us with fleas, they jeopardise the health of others in our care. Fleas are detrimental to our business so we politely ask that you adhere to the following guidelines:
- Please ensure your cat is treated regularly to prevent fleas. We expect your cat to have an effective annual flea management programme. This does not mean just treating the cat the day before you arrive.
- Your cat should be treated regardless of whether it goes outside or is an indoor cat.
- Ensure you use a veterinary approved / prescribed flea product such as Advantage, Advocate or Stronghold, or one of the long term flea prevention injections. Your vet will advise you of the best treatment available. Non prescription treatments, flea collars or spot on treatments you can buy at the supermarket or pet store are not effective and are not acceptable.
- Some older types of flea treatment are not as effective, and in some cases fleas have become resistant to these products. Efficacy of these products, particularly Frontline, is also dependent upon a strict dosing regime, generally more frequently than the stated recommended levels.
- We will not treat your cat if we discover it has fleas. This is because we will not know when or with which product you last treated your cat, if at all. We do not wish to cause an allergic reaction or overdose.
- We will however treat the environment to ensure no spread of the infestation occurs. This includes an additional and separate cleaning regime for the duration of your cats stay, daily spraying of insecticide to your cat’s chalet and bedding, the corridor and the adjoining chalets. Decontamination of the chalet once you have collected your cat which renders the chalet out of use for 24 hours and lost income to us, followed by a double disinfection to remove any final evidence of contamination. Finally we have to dispose of any of our cattery bedding that may have been used and purchase new replacements.
- The time and cost to our business is considerable so that we remain a safe haven from fleas. Therefore a charge of £40.00 will be made to cover the cost of this. This will be added to your final bill.
- We will collect evidence for you to be able to see the level of infestation your cat has. This usually consists of flea dirt, eggs and larvae, and advise you on the next course of action to eradicate the problem.
Please be assured that whilst your cats are in our care they are of paramount importance to us. We like all our customers to be able to go away knowing their cats are safe and well cared for in a loving environment, which is free of fleas. Please help us to keep it that way and help your cat to be happy, comfortable and healthy.